Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Rain, rain, go away.


Its Been Raining - Kimya Dawson

It rained for 7 days straight last week. Almost constantly, it rained. It seemed biblical. Let's be clear here. In Florida, it's supposed to rain every day, but just for half an hour around four in the afternoon. Everything was flooding because so much of this town is at or below sea level. It was a mess. And yesterday was gorgeous. And today was gorgeous, until I went to get into my car. Then it was deluge time again. And here I am, playing around online, even though I should load my car with the food that I don't want poisoned by poison gas. Also, I need to load clothes for the next three days, and tomorrow's bike stuff. And here I sit, playing around online.

I couldn't go outside tonight. Dark and rainy, that's what it was, and I like my camera, so I don't want it water damaged. And that means it's time for more stuff from my apartment.

First of all, it's a picture of my ukuleles. So you know, I cannot play them. I can noodle around poorly, and I can invent ridiculously simple two chord songs that don't sound very good. I keep thinking I should take a couple of lessons. Enough to build on...
From More stuff from my house


I've watched a lot of Mad Men lately, and I have a great amount of respect for the suffering of the women of the 50's and 60's. People should not be treated as second class citizens. That said, I still cannot help but love pinup art from the 50's:
From More stuff from my house


My oldest friend, Fluffy will be old enough to run for President next year:
From More stuff from my house


I'm not usually a sports guy outside of bike racing, but in April/May/June, playoffs hockey and basketball are compelling. Go Wings:
From More stuff from my house


When I lived in Michigan, for a very short time, I had a Hawaiian bathroom. It was kitsch Hawaii, but I loved it. I had astroturf, a grass skirt around the sink base, leis around the mirror, tiki gods, and a hula girl shower curtain. I had to ditch the grass things because it turns out I'm very allergic to dried grasses. Anyway, I still have a lot of elements of that bathroom, but my current bathroom is nowhere near as cool.

Here's a Tiki god my dad cast in a 2 qt. milk carton when he was a cub scout:
From More stuff from my house

The Polynesian girl bust I found at a flea market (or was it in my grandma's attic?):
From More stuff from my house

From More stuff from my house

Another flea market find:
From More stuff from my house

Goodwill (or some thrift store) score:
From More stuff from my house


Original work by James Hargett, an Atlanta area painter. We traded paintings when we were in a gallery together in Jacksonville:
From More stuff from my house


My Iron Beer light switch cover. Iron Beer is a Cuban fruit flavored soda. This was really easy to make. Scissors, a switch plate, and a screw driver.
From More stuff from my house


Well, I suppose I should start packing and loading things. It is 10:15, after all. Poop.

2 comments:

brookeamanda said...

I'm sooo jealous of your place. Oh, and if it's any consolation, it's been raining alot in IL, too. I've had three days in a row off of work and it's rained all three days :(

Awesome Sara said...

it raining up there too? we are having pretty crappy weather and the lake in my backyard is like filling up like crazy! think i should get a raft or something??