Thursday, April 30, 2009


Heater - Samim

It's time for...the rest of the story. With Paul Harvey gone, someone has to take up the mantle, so I'm offering myself for the job.

On Sunday morning, we got up, and got ready for breakfast. I wanted to get to breakfast by 9ish so I could hit the road by ten. And breakfast it was...we went to a place that serves a fantastic sauteed tofu breakfast. It was super yummy, and the biscuit was quite good as well. While we were eating, I spied this fellow eating as well:
From Athens and Back


Afterward, we hugged and said so long, I punched in my friend Shannon's address in the GPS, and hit the road. I wanted to get to Savannah by 2ish, but the GPS was putting me there around 3:20. Well crap. Oh well. I made sure to take pictures on my way down even so. By doing a little bit faster than posted speeds, I was there at quarter to three, so it wasn't bad as far as that goes.

On the way down, I saw:

Repetitive graffiti:
From Athens and Back

Beautiful roadside wildflowers:
From Athens and Back

The Ohoopee Mart at the corner of US1 and I-16:
From Athens and Back


Shannon's place is gorgeous, and she's just a short walk from a gorgeous live oak lined park in Savannah. She and Eric and I walked around, and hit a cafe for a hot pretzel (because April 26 is National Pretzel Day). While we were walking, I saw this character. He was through with his body. It was sad, and very dignified looking:
From Athens and Back


There were too many gorgeous buildings to photograph, but I loved the rust stains from the window decorations on this one:
From Athens and Back


And I was loving their Neighborhood Watch signs:
From Athens and Back


Shannon had to go to work, but Eric offered to ride around with me, and point out the sights. Savannah is like a bigger, better version of St. Augustine. I really liked it. As I was driving, I was able to stop long enough to get a shot of these great brownstone stairs:
From Athens and Back


Lastly, I took US 17 south to Brunswick before getting back on 95. I figured I'd get some good pictures of sad little towns. It's always fun traveling the road that was replaced by the freeway.
After this it was home for the night, and speaking of that, I just woke up, and it's after 1. The rest of this was written at 11, but this sentence in the following pics are being set up at 1:
This great little river about halfway down I 17...
From Athens and Back

From Athens and Back


Great sign!
From Athens and Back


King's Laundry:
From Athens and Back


Subtle xenophobia/racism:
From Athens and Back


Heading over the bridge out of Brunswick, and the last pic I'm sending before I mo
From Athens and Back


Back to everyday life tomorrow. And then we can do all the silly stuff we used to.

2 comments:

lightning in a bottle said...

nice photos! i like savannah's buildings. the dead birdy, not so much :( awww.

Magic Pants Jones said...

The dead birds always make me sad, too, but they always have a sort of dignity to me. I don't know why. Savannah is gorgeous, I definitely want to spend more time there.