Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Walking on Riberia Street

It was another walk with Wes, so another day for the camera. It's funny every time I walk around, I always find something that looks shootable. It makes me think of that line from the movie Pecker where he's talking about his camera: "Everything always looks good through here."

That's exactly how it is for me. I set off down Riberia. It heads down a peninsula, away from the touristy bits, toward boat repair yards, and low income homes.

On my way out, I ran into Norris, a great guy who used to custodian at my last school. I miss working with him. We shook hands and I was off for pics...

I love houses that look like they've been added onto without a lot of thought to form:
From Bridge, Riberia, Lovett, and MLK Streets


This one speaks for itself:
From Bridge, Riberia, Lovett, and MLK Streets


These two trees looked good together:
From Bridge, Riberia, Lovett, and MLK Streets


From Bridge, Riberia, Lovett, and MLK Streets


From Bridge, Riberia, Lovett, and MLK Streets


Gang graffiti? I saw it in another spot. The spurting blood from the tag, coupled with the CAUTION tape is kinda creepy:
From Bridge, Riberia, Lovett, and MLK Streets


I met this guy Joe on my walk, he and his cat were having a sit:
From Bridge, Riberia, Lovett, and MLK Streets


This character was hanging out on a porch on MLK Street:
From Bridge, Riberia, Lovett, and MLK Streets


Excelsior High School, formerly the high school for black students in St. Augustine, took its name in 1928, a big improvement over its old name, Central Avenue Colored School #10:
From Bridge, Riberia, Lovett, and MLK Streets


St. Benedict School, part of the campus of St. Benedict the Moor Parish, St. Augustine's only African American Roman Catholic Community. The school is currently undergoing renovation after years of disrepair:
From Bridge, Riberia, Lovett, and MLK Streets



Click to see the rest of the album. Some of the stuff is alright, some of it mediocre. There was just too much to post in one day!

9 comments:

Amber said...

Great Pictures Sean!

sexypoet said...

love the picture of the black cat's eyes.. he looks almost sinister.

lightning in a bottle said...

love the peeping black cat. i used to have a cat that looked just like this one. he was a complete momma's boy. ah....i miss him.

sexypoet said...

my siamese kitty smokey has the same shaped eyes but, his are a grayish/green. i'll have to put a photo of him up on my blog.. he's a ham!

Awesome Sara said...

your pics are really amazing. your talent runs deep.

that cat is AWWWW!

sexypoet said...

his pics are always amazing! i really want him to come take some pics for me. (mainly cuz i don't wanna go to jail for taking them) i promise i'll be a good lookout though.. =)

sexypoet said...

p.s. the kitty pics are up on mah blog.. along with a pic of a giant skeeter that bit me.

Magic Pants Jones said...

Thanks you guys! And sexy...you won't get arrested for taking pictures of peoples' houses. Even if they give you grief, you just compliment their house, apologize, or assert your right to take pictures when you're in public space.

drollgirl said...

these pictures are so great. i really like them. you have talent and a good eye, and you get composition (which really helps!). love them. well done.