Saturday, March 14, 2009

New Blog, and more photos!

I've started a photos only blog called MPJ365 to house my daily Project 365 photo of the day. I'll still post my pics here, but I'm gonna make sure to have one new photo per day. You can also see the Flickr set here.

I did some more walking around this morning, the results are below, but first, I've got two new drawings. I was listening to The Sound of Young America today as I was doing errands. On my way from the bike shop (new helmet and shades, and plans to get insur
ance funds for my bike) to Sports Authority (big ol' exercise ball at the suggestion of my Physical Therapist), there was an interview with Jeffrey Tambor. I like him. I loved him on Arrested Development and Larry Sanders, but remember liking him on the Three's Company spin-off, the Ropers(which is universally considered to be a disaster), and also his own show about a blind college professor, Mr. Sunshine. I was a dorky kid. I loved TV, even when it was bad. Anyway, I was listening to the interview when I got to Sports Authority, and didn't want to miss it by going in. Isn't this what NPR calls a 'driveway moment' during every pledge drive? I'm sitting there in the parking lot, and I decided to draw. I have a messy Asian calligraphy pen that I like to draw with, and luckily, it was in one of the little storage areas between the seats. I grabbed some junk mail, and did a couple of pictures. I also learned that according to Tambor, the Arrested Development movie looks like a go!

Here are the pictures:
From Junk Mail Drawings


and

From Junk Mail Drawings


This morning, before I did all my today stuff, I went for a good walk with Wes. It was foggy out, and pleasant. I saw shoes, playground equipment, rotting metal, frost-killed bananas, beautiful plants, ailing houses, and so much more. Here's some of it, click one of the links to see more.
These don't appear to have been harvested. You can bet if I had a banana plant, I'd eat 'em rather than leave them on the plant:
From Walking in Lincolnville


Heading to work at A1A Aleworks, from the looks of her shirt. Carbon emissions on her commute? Zero:
From Walking in Lincolnville


I'm not sure what the context of this cross is. Did someone die here? Or is just a piece of religious expression?
From Walking in Lincolnville


It makes me sad to see these great houses empty with people homeless just a couple of blocks away:
From Walking in Lincolnville


This looks so much better than I expected it to. I think it would make a nice t-shirt...especially if the shirt was that light gray color:
From Walking in Lincolnville


A library for blacks in the 50's and 60's. How foreign that seems to me, not having lived through segregation.
From Walking in Lincolnville


I'm sorry that I keep posting this old school, I love it so:
From Walking in Lincolnville


The neighbor cat:
From Walking in Lincolnville


Wes!
From Walking in Lincolnville


Enjoy the rest of your Saturday, Ladies and Gentlemen.




7 comments:

sexypoet said...

love jeffrey tambor! i would have stayed in the car too. i am very drunk so i hope this makes sense. he was funny on that threes company spin off show with the ropers. i also LOVED him when he was on threes company as that coo-coo doctor that worked with terry at the hospital. remember he was trying to remember the song and janet and jack thought he was escaped mental patient.. janet offered him crackers.. funny shit! boom boom dittum wattum chew..

anywhoos.. great pictures as always.. and you rock!!!

lightning in a bottle said...

that's awesome mpj. i'm going to add you on my flickr and see the world through your eyes daily for the year.

sexypoet said...

i had a question.. how do you always find kittys peeking over stuff? lol

Awesome Sara said...

keep posting that old school!! it looks haunted!!! i'm just waiting to see a ghost in the window. i checked out your other blog, awesome! i can't wait for more pics!!

Magic Pants Jones said...

lightning...I'm liking your 365s, too!

sexy...thanks, and about the cats...cats and me? We have an understanding.

Sara...I'm glad you like the school, because it old buildings make me happy. It's why I miss Detroit...all the run-downedness.

lightning in a bottle said...

oh and should the inclination strike you, i'd most welcome an original mpj asian calligraphy drawing on junk mail when you send me an original ethan ;)

i like that girl picture.

one little simitopian said...

Those drawings on junkmail are really effective! Great idea MPJ.
That photo of the branches is quite beautiful too...It sort of reminds me of that cherry blossom print on chong sahm (not sure that's correct spelling..) dresses.