Saturday, March 7, 2009

Awesome Show, Awful Candy

I didn't catch a lot of shows tonight at the music fest, but I enjoyed the hell out of Tilly and the Wall. I'd never heard them before, and I'm amazed because they sound like a band that was custom made for my poppy side. I won't bother describing it too much because I'll become dumb and inarticulate. I'll just say that it rocked. Too bad that grilled cheese cut the rest of the night short.


Tomorrow: Murs, Diplo, Black Kids, Gaslight Anthem, and The National. Live music is rad.

And: On the way home from the festival, it was a coupling of very sad events centered around candy. I stopped at a Hess Station for a Coke and a Peppermint Pattie. It is well known that the P-Squared is one of the finest mainstream candies in America. I mean sure, you've got your Mounds and your Butterfingers, but the Double P is a great palate cleanser, a stomach settler, and it tastes damn good. All for just 150 calories and 4 grams of fat. Try that Three Musketeers. Yeah, I didn't think so. Well, anyway, the Hess Station didn't have any Peppermint Patties. Of course, it took me five minutes to figure out a replacement. Out of the blue I checked the ingredients on the back of the Chocolate Skittles. I haven't eaten skittles in years because of the gelatin, and these didn't have any. My curiosity piqued, I handed over my two bux for a can and a bag, and got in the car. I can tell you this: You should never eat Chocolate Skittles.
From Worst Candy In Years
They taste like a mangled-DNA love child of a Tootsie Roll and a Skittle. This is candy abomination in action, folks. All I can say is don't do it!



10 comments:

sexypoet said...

i had no idea that skittles made chocolate candy.. i am a lover of anything chocolate. peppermint patties are my absolute favorite. #2 in line is the junior mint. (i like them because they are small and you get no melted chocolate on your fingers)

lightning in a bottle said...

gah. lucky we don't have that skittle travesty in canada here. i'll keep my eye out should it ever crosses the border.

sounds like you had a good night otherwise!

don't forget we lose an hour tonight!

Magic Pants Jones said...

Oh! I love Canadian candy...and snack food in general. We used to cross the border for doughnuts when I lived in the Detroit area. Tim Horton's really is better. But I'd always pick up snack foods because you had neat candy bars I hadn't seen before, and the ketchup potato chips and pickle potato chips. I know it's a different (and cooler) country, but I was always surprised that the products are so different in places so close.

brookeamanda said...

I hate Skittles. I choked on them once when I was little and I've never be able to eat them again. Give me a Kit Kat or Twix bar any day of the week!

Awesome Sara said...

i don't eat skittles either. that gummy stuff is like razor blades to my tummy.

Oh, and happy birthday!!!! I made you a special post on my bloggie.

Magic Pants Jones said...

Not yet...it's on the 24th, but thanks!

Awesome Sara said...

i will make you another one on the 24! bc i'm just that nice.

lightning in a bottle said...

if you ever get a craving for those chips, i could send you a care package from canada! our chip flavours and donuts really are better...

E Flo said...

haha, I thought that it said "candy abortion" at first.

Magic Pants Jones said...

lightning: I can't do that, I'd eat 'em up so fast! Until I'm allowed back on the bike, I have to be careful. I like junky food too much (as opposed to junkie food, which would be whatever you eat in between heroin nods), and I'm not getting enough exercise.

E Flo: Apt description. How is Ann Arbor? That's what I miss most about Michigan.