Sunday, March 1, 2009

Advice Column Submissions Requested

Got a problem? Don't know what to do? Let my students answer it for you. Here's how:
1. Submit a question in the comments section below. Make sure it's appropriate for 8 year olds to read.
On appropriateness, I'm not saying it has to be a problem an 8 year old would understand, just that it's not sexual or violent.
2. You can ask for relationship advice, job advice, life decisions, anything. Give as much detail as you can. For example, if you're thinking about leaving your job, tell what you don't like about it, and tell what you're thinking about doing next. I'll have my students write their opinions, and I'll post the best answers, with pictures (8 year olds love to draw pictures). If you want a new haircut, or a new look, send in a picture, and tell what you're thinking, maybe mention your favorite music, I'll show them your picture, play them your music, and have them make a decision about what you should do.
3. There are 17 kids in my class. Five or six of them will waste their time, write unintelligibly, or sit for half an hour, whining, "I don't know what to write." So you've got twelve 8 and 9 year olds on the job. We'll go over their advice, and pick the one that we think is best. I'll post that one here, and on my class blog.

Isn't this child labor? No...nobody's getting paid, and I'm always looking for novel ways to motivate the kids to write.


Will the advice be any good? Who knows? You'll get either the best, most entertainingly written advice we can get from a group of average, middle class 8 and 9 year olds. You might want to follow it, but please know, if it doesn't work, this is the advice of a little kid.

So, please help me out here. Come up with a challenge from your every day living, and let me give it a crack. Will this work? I hope so. But if the results aren't any fun, I won't drag you through too many questions.

10 comments:

brookeamanda said...

I think that is a great idea and I bet their advice will be hilarious!

lightning in a bottle said...

awesome idea.

can i also come down and fingerpaint with them as well? on the walls.

k-here's my question for the lil sages:

i'm feeling torn guy. hope you can help me out. with the money i'm saving, should i look at buying a home or should i travel since i have 4 weeks vacation coming up. help!

your friend,

~girllightning

sexypoet said...

great idea! i can't wait to hear the answer. (kids are so honest)

my dog otis is a very large dog and he tries to push me around and be dominant. how can i gain back control of him and teach him to respect me as his leader?

Awesome Sara said...

How fun!!! I have to think about a question, is there a due date?

Magic Pants Jones said...

Make it anything, Sara, and this is an open ended thing, I'm thinking about running advice one day per week.

sexypoet - I've got enough there to go on, I think.

lightning - Any other details you can provide will help your bit of advice...is there a neighborhood of money? Would this be a downpayment on your house? Any idea where you'd travel?

brookeamanda - I'm glad you like it, get me a question.

And now, I woke up on my chair with Bill Maher on, my bed still not cleaned off, and I have to get up in four hours...so, teeth brushin' and back to sleep!

one little simitopian said...

Oh wow! Awesomeness. I want to ask a question but I can't think of one.Ummmmmm.....let me get back to you on that! This is just the best idea!

lightning in a bottle said...

down payment for a condo (which amounts to more money obv.) or 3-4 weeks in europe. (uk, netherlands, belgium, denmark, luxembourg etc)

and now my friends encouraging me to get that scooter than i've wanted for as long as i can remember.

yes. problems i know.

K @ Blog Goggles said...

Ok, this is awesome. I can't think of anything off the top of my head, but can't wait to see what they come up with!

brookeamanda said...

Okay, I thought of a question! I would like to move up with my company, but doing so would require me to move. The pros of this would be I would make more money and be the boss. The cons of this would be I REALLY like where I live (I've lived in this town for 10 years) all my friends are here and I'm close to my family. Plus, I just really hate packing and all the crap that goes along with moving. But I will never move up in the company unless I do this and I'm very good at my job and I'm ready to be the boss. What do they think I should do?

Magic Pants Jones said...

I've got an answer for lightning, but it needs to be typed in, the rest of you are providing morning writing for the next several tuesdays!