Thursday, February 26, 2009

Show and Tell Hell

From Show and Tell Hell

During my college and early post college years, I threw a handful of parties called Show and Tell Hell. The premise was that people hate to get up in front of a group of people (that was the Hell part), but it's easier if you have props (that's the Show and Tell part). The parties were wildly successful, and also a good way to meld groups of friends. The only problem now is that I don't know enough non-teacher people to invite, and I'm not sure most of my teacher friends would play it up as much as my friends did in college. I was surrounded by musicians, artists, radio people, dance people, and the best foreign exchange student I've ever met. I know that nostalgia is death, and the key to life is to go forward and embrace change, but I also think that replicating past successes is important, too.

So I need to figure out how to do the Show & Tell Hell for the people in my life now.
From Show and Tell Hell

12 comments:

Awesome Sara said...

Whats wrong w/ teacher-people? that sounds like fun!! I want to play!

sexypoet said...

it does sound like a alot of fun.. and PLEASE rescan that pic with all the writing.. (unless you meant for it to look all acid trippy like that)

Magic Pants Jones said...

Fixed!

sexypoet said...

thank you.. you are quite the obediant one arent you? =) i like that in a man..

Magic Pants Jones said...

I'm all about pleasing. So long as I'm having a good time, too.

sexypoet said...

i just went back and read your entire blog. you are very interesting! i also enjoy your other blog although, i must admit, clowns are the scariest thing on the planet to me. =) however, i enjoy the dark persona of the spitz. i would say more but, don't think it is appropriate to write here. =) i do enjoy your writing though!

Magic Pants Jones said...

Oh? Is this the point where I email you?

sexypoet said...

curious are we? i am!

one little simitopian said...

This is a very cool idea! I used to have absurdist nights with my friends way back...we'd play stupid word games and eat sugary things. It was fun.
Hmmmmm.....I'm also enjoying the flirty bantering between sexypoet and yourself.......*insert heavy breathing*
Hehe. Just kidding. (you hope!)
But seriously, thanks for droppin' by my project 365. (My vegan chocolate mousse is da shizzle.Not to put tickets on myself or anything, but I'm fucking awesome.)
I like Spitzl too. Scary and Mr. Bungle-ish.

drollgirl said...

oh that is a super cool idea. i am deathly afraid of any type of public speaking, so i would suck at this!!!!

Magic Pants Jones said...

drollgirl, nooo! that's the thing, everyone is so much more awesome at this than they'd think. You've got a minute to tell about something, and you get to have a prop to hold. If you're really afraid, I ask leading questions to get you through it. See, this is what happens when an elementary school major has hipster friends...it's a great mix. I know how to make reluctant kids comfortable, I'm sure we could make it easy on you. Oh man, now I really wanna plan this for here.

brookeamanda said...

I love your "rules" for the paty, especially "use your drugs BEFORE you arrive."