Sunday, February 22, 2009

New Toy!



















I just got a USB capable turntable, and I'm really excited to rip some of my old albums to mp3s. I went to my parents' house last night, and got my crate of records, and now I'm excited and a little disappointed.

Clearly, it's a waste of time to make copies of things like the Smiths, or the Beastie Boys. It's easier, and I'll get better quality (this isn't a high end turntable) by buying online.

No, the real excitement lies in things like:
  • Gert Behana's anti-feminist rant Women Be Women
  • Sounds in Space
  • Victory at Sea
  • Spidey's Super Stories from the good people at The Electric Company, a production of the Children's Telivision Workshop
  • My CRC Commercial records of commercial jingles...made for radio, these things are GREAT when you're a dork like me.
From LP Covers

Sadly, though, I'm missing my Parrot Training Record, and Mr. T's Be Somebody, Or Be Somebody's Fool. I must've foolishly left them behind at some point. What a remarkable lack of vision.

Oh well, until I get the right USB cord, there's no recording, so I'm just listening to Herb Alpert's Whipped Cream and Other Delights. Ridiculous music, but something about it makes me so happy.

5 comments:

Awesome Sara said...

Whoa. I don't even know how to play a record! You dated yourself with this post. I don't even know people who listen to records anymore.

Magic Pants Jones said...

I'm about 1 3/4 times as old as you. There. I'm making you do math.

drollgirl said...

herb alpert??@!?!?!?! you must have some humperdink in there somewhere, too.

Magic Pants Jones said...

Nah...no Humperdink. It all started with the album cover. When you shop old records, Whipped Cream and Other Delights is a staple in the used record shops. After a while, my curiosity got the best of me. My tastes are pretty eclectic, and the zany, zippy tunes make me smile. It's definitely not every day music (see my profile), but it is fun once in a while. You can also throw in Xavier Cugat for great covers and ridiculously fun tunes. Again, not every day stuff.

Awesome Sara said...

WHoa, math problem not in the mood for that nonsense. anyway, you signed up for my gifty!! I need to know your fav color. Its a cool gift. I'm going to make 1 4 myself. Here is my email:
SaraLevine2003@yahoo.com

email me your name and fav color and address. I want to keep your info shit private so you on't get stalkers.