Saturday, February 7, 2009

In praise of vaguery...

When I was younger, I was very sure of a lot of things. Not so much of myself as of my opinions. And, to be true, I'm still a fairly opinionated person. But I think I'm reaching a part of my life where I finally don't have to have my opinions apply to everyone. How nice. I know, it sounds obvious typing this, but in our culture it seems to becoming the standard that we stick to our own cultures. With cable and satellite radio, you can get your news from the people who agree with you politically. And on one level, that's nice.

As a democrat living in a heavily republican county, it's good to turn on Rachel Maddow, and know that I'm not the only one thinking, "Are these people crazy?" But I remember being in Washington DC, at an anti war march. I rode a bus overnight to get there, and I was surrounded by people who agree with me. And was tremendously cool, but I was also unnerved. I think that I relish having the outsider viewpoint to a degree, and suddenly being surrounded by likemindedness makes me a bit nervous.

So this leaves me as the vegetarian who tells people, "I would never dream of trying to get you to give up meat, but I could make tofu that you'd like." Now, I know that my republican friends are wrong, my religious friends can get a little pushy, and the meat eaters have gross habits, but I don't mind too much, and I still like them.

That doesn't make me Alan Colmes, does it?

5 comments:

Awesome Sara said...

OMG when I was reading this I Alan Colm seriously came to mind. You're like a mini clone. I used to be a vegetarian but I stopped eating meat for almost a year and became very sick. I did the vitamins and suppliments and such but my body couldn't handle. poo.

Magic Pants Jones said...

Heyyyyyy. I'm so not Colmes. But I'm no rhetorical bomb thrower, either. It never ever works for me when I try.

Awesome Sara said...

whatever lets you sleep at nite.

Magic Pants Jones said...

That's cold.

Awesome Sara said...

All in good fun! I still like you.