Thursday, February 19, 2009

I'm it.

Ninja Sara has tagged me, and now I'm it. This isn't freeze tag, you can't come and unfreeze me. The only way I get out of this is to tell you 6 things about me, and then tag 6 more people. Holy crap...I'm not sure I've got 6 friends with blogs...man, am I gonna just have to tag Spitzle followers? Oh, the stress of it all. Well...I'll worry about that after I come up with my six things. Okay, I'ma try to put down things that I haven't already blogged about. That'll be tougher, but maybe better?

1. I'm a terrible correspondent

Ever since I was a little kid, I've had a hard time writing letters, and especially thank you notes. In adulthood, this has turned into a dread of returning phone calls and emails of people who are far away. It's not that I don't want to communicate...I really do, but each day that I don't get around to it, I feel pressured to do it. And the pressure becomes crippling. Whenever I think about this, I think it's stupid. Facebook has been a big help...I can say hello in quick little ways. Now lest you think that this means that I'm hiding from my phone, I can totally call someone back if seeing them is imminent. It's just with people I don't see much. I hope all my friends know that I love them, and I just suck at that.

2. Trivial Pursuit
Trivia night at the bar? You want me on your team. I know more things than I've ever learned. I've got most of the answers when 'playing at home' with Jeopardy, Millionaire, and Cash Cab. I'm not saying this to brag. There's plenty I'm crap at. I'm just really good at remembering tons of stuff.

3. Chili Cook Off
A year ago, I won my bicycle club's annual chili cook-off. The funny thing about it is that I'd never made chili before, I made up a recipe the night before by taking a base recipe off of the internet, and adjusting the hell out of it. My recipe was very different from the base that I found. The best thing about winning? It was vegetarian chili, and when the top judge found out, he joked that he wouldn't have voted for it if he knew that it was meatless.

4. Vegetarian/Arby's
I've been a vegetarian for sixteen years. Every month since then, at least one person says, "Don't you ever miss meat?" And my answer usually is: Not really, but I do kinda crave an Arby's Roast Beef Sandwich once in a while. I'd never go for one, and I know that there's no way they could taste as good as my memories of them as a kid. For one...kids have f'ed up tastebuds. Secondly, all of the corporate dining chains have tweaked the hell out of their recipes to maximize 'taste' and profit, so I don't think it would be objectively as good.

5. I love decay.
Maybe you can see it in my photos of St. Augustine, or the signs, maybe you can sense it from some of the Spitzle pictures. I love dying, rusted, paint peeling, graffiti covered buildings. I love dirty, torn apart dog toys. I love the way things look when they're past their usefulness. There's a sad beauty there. I think that's why I always loved Detroit so much, and I could never live in a subdivision or gated community.
From Magic Pants Jones is the Present!


6. My Bike
I had two favorite bicycles, but since my crash took my gorgeous, 'spensive racing bike out of commission, I'm left with the one I built as a Frankenbike. I found this frame sitting next to a dumpster a couple of years ago, took it home, loved it, added (and subtracted parts), and came away with a perfect bike for riding around town. Because of the gearing, with bike shoes and clipless pedals, it's actually pretty fast for an old steel frame with cheap wheels. I absolutely love this bike. It's true...you really appreciate things more when you make them yourself.























Man, now I've gotta find 6 people to tag. Okay, after reading drollgirl's 6 things, I'm cheating too: if you can see this you've been tagged. You're it, bitches.

4 comments:

Awesome Sara said...

OMG, you are the neatest and most interesting person ever!!! Your bike is gorgeous!!

Awesome Sara said...

FYI. I accidently found this photographer during a school project and your love of decay made me want to post him. I've dedicated it to you. You're welcome.

drollgirl said...

i like decay, too, and am getting sick of all these bloggers that just post PRETTY THINGS day after day after day.

Aji said...

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


Alanna

http://www.craigslisthelper.info