Friday, January 9, 2009

Since my last post...

3 days after my last post, I stayed late at work to complete students' progress reports. Getting out to my car, the battery was dead. After a 45 minute wait, my battery was charged, but the guy said it'd be dead again after I turned the car off. I made a call to my dad, and told him that I'd probably ride my bike to work if I couldn't get a ride. I also called a friend from work and left a message. When I couldn't reach her, I decided on getting up early to ride.

4 days after my last post, I woke up to a cold (38F) morning, and got dressed for the ride in. Extra layers and full finger gloves would mean that I'd warm up fast, and the ride wouldn't be miserable. My co-worker stopped me halfway to school, demanding that I get in her truck because it was cold out. By then, I was fine. I kept going. As I approached a tricky curved intersection, I checked behind me to make sure I wouldn't get plowed over. Except I did, by the guy turning ONTO my road, the guy who didn't look.

Here's what I remember after:
  • I tried to sit up and get myself collected. A woman (identifying herself as an off duty paramedic) told me not to move. She stayed with me until the ambulance arrived.
  • The guy who hit me apologized and said he hadn't seen me. I was having too much trouble breathing to say, "Yeah, because you didn't look before you turned."
  • The dad of one of my students was there, and someone took my bike, my beautiful bike, to work.
  • I rode in an ambulance for the first time in my life, and they cut off my bike jersey, base layer, and jacket.
More from the crash file next post.

5 comments:

drollgirl said...

this is awful, and i hope you are doing ok. jesus. awful.

Magic Pants Jones said...

I'm getting better...the doctor says I should be able to get back on a bike in a month.

lightning in a bottle said...

i used to ride passenger on a motorcycle and ever since then i've always been conscientious when i drove not to pull up close to bikers/motorcyclists and to always look out for them when turning. (or opening my door)

i think it should be mandatory for EVERY DRIVER to ride around on 2 wheels. then maybe they would take more care on the road.

so sorry you got hit. what an arse.

Magic Pants Jones said...

I like your solution. Incidentally, I really like your blog.

lightning in a bottle said...

you're pretty awesome too.