Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The Urge to Make and Grow

I'm being re-struck by the urge to make things and to grow. I'm not always sure what to make, or in what ways I need to be growing, but the urge is there.

I have some thoughts on this, though. Clearly, I would like to spend time working on more painting. Even though I'm not always pushing myself to paint and draw, when I do complete a set of work, I feel so incredibly satisfied. I'm thinking of designing some posters to put on phone poles in town, I'm thinking of green graffiti. I'm really just not sure where I want to funnel this desire. One thought is that maybe I should just schedule time out, and refuse to do anything but create. I'm not sure I'm that type of person, though.
As far as growth, I'm seeing the urge manifest itself in three directions.
At work, I'm constantly thinking of things I can do to make the experience more about the students' desires, and less about mine. I'm aiming at creating projects that come from THEIR hearts. They always seem to enjoy MY projects, but it might be nice to be a conduit to their dreams, huh?
I'm also feeling like I'd like to be the type of person who actually takes care of the things around himself. What's it been, 3 weeks? Maybe it's time to clean up the branches from Tropical Storm Fay! Also: I have TOO MANY things. Ideally, it'd be nice to sell everything off, but these are things that I'm not sure would make much money. Is it time for a neighborhood sidewalk sale? Or do I want to start leaving gifts for the neighborhood outside, Freecycle style?
Lastly, I've been talking for a couple of years about taking a yoga class. It's just 88 bux for the beginner's class at the local place...I'm going after work to sign up.



I'm a person with ideas, and I don't always rock on the follow through, but these are things that are really pulling at my heart right now.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Nice sentiment, Mr. Jones - and like you really had to sign "Sean" to the comment you left on my blog - who else could "Magic Pants Jones" be?