Friday, July 4, 2008

Happy 'Splosions Day!

Yay!

It's the Fourth of July! I get to celebrate the freedom I get to complain about my country. That is a wonderful thing. So far, I haven't been imprisoned for being disgruntled or disappointed. And for this, I am gruntled and appointed.

Yay for fireworks! Enviro-fun! No pollutants or extra CO2 from that! And to add to the fun, let's all idle our cars to get into town, and then back out...In the time it took me to ride my bike a mile and a half, most cars moved three car lengths! Lest I devolve into self-superiority, I suck....I'm going to bed early so I can drive my car 30 miles to go on a 38 mile bike ride, before driving 30 mile back! Enviro-fun all 'round!

Yay for fireworks! What do they celebrate? Victory at sea! Military strength! We're number 1!
#1 in Cocaine Use! #1 in Subsitance Living! #1 in Personal Debt! #1 in Health Care Costs! Am I whining? Sure....

This isn't all to say that I hate America. I've had wonderful opportunities here! It's a much easier world when you're born in America. It's also easier to be born straight, white, and middle class. I don't think that's really fair, though.

America is a nice place to live if you have your ducks in a row. There are some pretty screwy people here, and that's entertaining. I'm just saying...we've got enough wrong, could we celebrate the good things while still recognizing the bad ones?

I know, I'm usually Captain Positive...Let's focus on the good..aim for what's right...look for the light, Carol Ann. I know that if you look at the hazard in the road, you're more likely to hit it. True, so back to my Pollyanna outlook after all this. But for now, when we're all chest pounding and we're number oneing, I would like to say: "Pound your chest when all of your ducks are in their rows." Better, when you get to that point, don't be the ass pounding his chest, be the mensch helping others learn about duck placement.

Pride sucks your soul out. Be happy about the good things, fix the bad ones.

I love you more than you will ever know.

No comments: