Friday, March 14, 2008

Five for Friday

Things I'm digging this week:

1. Geeky kids' books. It's standardized test season here in Florida, and the kids are stressed. Because of this, I'm reading chapters from two books a day instead of just one. I wanna keep their brains stimulated, but they need some down time.
I had been reading The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick already, but I still have to say how much I love this book. In it's estimable plot, one finds automata and historical sci-fi films. So much fun, and I get to use my French accent on the kids. Another great thing is the amount of illustrations. Selznick uses them to tell(rather than just enhance) the story. It's no wonder he won the Caldecott honor, but it is neat to see it given out to a novel, and not just a picture book. Once testing started, I picked up Cryptid Hunters by Roland Smith. Mr. Smith is coming to our school this month, and it was the perfect time to start one of his books. So, I'm going from the automaton writing machine in Hugo to cryptozoology in Smith's book. It's like I'm reading to my 3rd graders straight from Boing Boing.
2. I am fitting into jeans that did not fit four months ago. Thanks to: my bike, sensible eating, Tuesday work-outs with my co-workers, and Thursday walk/runs after work!

3. Trees
My students and I went outside today to stare at the trees and write about them. I haven't looked at the photographs they've taken yet, but I have seen some tremendous artwork, and I've read some amazing poetry from them. Go trees!

4. Standardized testing
Officially, teachers hate the standardized tests, and technically, I'm no exception. It was tough work to get everyone to a place where they may all pass the test, and it was really hard to watch some of the kids struggle on things they normally wouldn't. That said, getting past the FCAT always gets us to a point where we can do some awesome and strange group learning activities.

5. hulu
I technically shouldn't be getting all excited over network TV on my internet, but I like hulu so far. I can watch 30 Rock and Arrested Development there. I can also watch the Addams Family (my favorite old school sitcom ever), and the Rockford Files. Jim Rockford is the coolest TV detective ever. And when I watch Rockford, I don't have to sit through insurance ads and commercials for the Hoveround.

No comments: